With our second baby on the way, I have been taking the time to reflect a bit and look back on our parenting with David. What a journey it has been! Since this is my blog and I'm the one behind the keyboard, I'm going to take a minute to toot my own horn. We nailed bedtime and nap time the first time around. No changes needed for the new baby. We started making sleep time a very strict and serious thing from way back. There are no options - you have to do it Mommy and Daddy's way. I'm not saying it was easy. There were nights when I would be exhausted and want to cave. There were nights that I called my mom almost in tears asking what to do because I couldn't listen to him cry for one more second. Mom's advice? Stick it out. He will learn and you will appreciate all this hard work later. And boy do I!
Last night I was watching some TV around David's bedtime. He got fussy and started showing signs of being tired. Bedtime!! It happened to be right at a commercial break so I got up and put him to bed. This includes: laying him down, making sure Dog is there, covering him with a blanket, saying "Goodnight. I love you", and walking away. Maybe a minute altogether. After this little routine was done I went to the living room and cleaned up all his toys. I sat back down on the couch just in time to see my show start back up. A full bedtime routine and clean up during a commercial break?? I rock.
Thanks for the good advice Mom. It worked. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment