Friday, March 18, 2011

David's First Haircut

It had to happen sooner or later...for David it was later. ;) He finally got his very first ever haircut.

*sigh*

My boy is growing up. He cried and flailed a bit when we told him it was time for a haircut. It took some doing, but we finally got him calmed down enough to figure out that he was terrified of being cut. :) I just love this boy. I promised that I would only cut his hairs and not him. We talked about how hairs don't hurt when they are cut - just your skin hurts when cut. I promised I would be gentle and it wouldn't hurt at all. If it hurt all he had to say was "Ouch! Mama, stop!" and I would stop. The tears quickly faded and he sucked in a big boy breath and told me he was ready.

One pass with the clippers into the haircut and I was ready to cry. What was I doing to my poor baby?! These are his baby hairs we are talking about, people! They have never been cut before. These are the very hairs he was born with (ok, not really. He didn't have hair until 18 months). These are the very hairs he's had since 18 months old!! And I just cut them off. They are never coming back. Sure hair will grow, but it won't be his "from birth" hairs. These are special.

Daddy didn't seem so phased by the whole ordeal. He held David on his lap and talked about how he was a big boy because he got his hair cut - just like Daddy. David soaked it all in. He sat so very still while I cut and trimmed and went over it all again. The promise of a dum dum sucker was enough to keep him sitting patiently for as long as I pleased. When I was finally satisfied I let David look in the mirror and touch it. I don't think his hand left his head the rest of the night. I gave him a good buzz cut with a number 2 guard so it's nice and short and fuzzy.

I gave him a bath soon after to get all the little itchy hairs off him and he chatted the whole time about his big boy haircut. "My haircut is wet.", "You're washing my haircut.". Near the end of his bath I told him he was all clean and all the little hairs were off of him. Instantly he was in a near panic. He thought I washed his big boy haircut away and he had long hair again. I assured him it was still there, but he gave his head a pat just to be sure. :)





Yep, I saved a lock for his baby book.

David and Daddy sporting their new matching buzz cuts.

3 comments: