Monday, November 29, 2010

"It's only an hour. What's the worst that could happen?"

*Whiiiiiiiiistle* 

 That's my teapot you hear. I am brewing up a cup of chamomile right now and I'm fixing to put my feet up.

I just got home from babysitting for a friend. She needed someone to watch her 3 kids and 2 daycare kids while she took her oldest son to school. She had said it would be only an hour and it sounded easy enough so I jumped at the chance to help her out and bless her. I took along my 2 kiddos too. It was an interesting experience. Have you ever watched 7 children under the age of 4 and been able to call it anything less than interesting? I thought not.

The first 20 minutes were good. Everything was calm and uneventful. Then...oh then, it got fun. Her 2 month old needed to eat. I fixed him a bottle and sat down to feed him. Max wasn't liking this a whole lot. He crawled over to me and pulled at my jeans and fussed every so often just to let me know how jealous he was that some other baby had his mama. The bottle was gone before I knew it, but then the floodgates opened and the spitting up started. And kept going....and going...and going. Three bibs and a burp cloth later, I was really starting to wonder when it would stop. Eventually, it did, but only to be replaced with back to back poo-splosions. I felt, heard and smelled him go so we wandered into the bedroom to change him. As I laid him down, he rumbled again. Then the oozing started. Yeah, you know the kind - up the back, out the legs, dripping here and there, oozing. I had started unbuttoning his shirt when I heard his big sister's muffled voice from across the hall. She had gone into her mom and dad's bedroom and locked herself in. Um...not expecting that one. Now, my friend is an awesome laid-back mom. She requested only that the kids be alive when she got back. We joked before she left that it's a pretty basic request and really shouldn't be all that hard. She wasn't asking much. Still, I don't think covered in poop or locked in a bedroom was what she had in mind. Pleading with her in my mind to take just a few more minutes before coming home, I raced through a very messy diaper change and rescued her daughter from her bedroom prison (the knobs unlock easily from the outside). I pulled the children out from under the bed where they were hiding and poking each other, broke up a wrestling match between a 4 yr old and a 10 month old, kissed a boo boo and found some (mismatched) clothes for the baby. She returned at just the right time and all ended well.

That was a very tiring hour. Wow. And the crazy thing is I had fun and I'd do it again. :D

2 comments: