Monday, April 18, 2011

David's First E.R. Trip

It's been an...um...eventful day around here today. I woke up sure I was starving to death. I ate 3 breakfasts and a snack before lunch. I pretty much decided to fore go all other activities or plans and just eat all morning. No shower, no brushing teeth, no doing my hair, no cleaning. Just eating. The boys threw their goldfish snack on the ground and stomped them all into the carpet and dumped every single toy they own on the floor, but it just didn't matter.

By lunch, I was a wreck. I just couldn't make more food fast enough. I hurried it along as fast as I could then popped it in the oven (Chili Mac and Cheese with last night's leftover chili - yum!). About 10 minutes before it was supposed to come out of the oven the boys started squabbling over a trike that Grandma got David for Christmas. Max was on it first, but David got it in his head that he wanted a ride too. It quickly became an all out power struggle. I was busy juggling laundry, cooking, packing and not throwing up from being so hungry so I let them duke it out. That was SUCH a bad decision. Normally, it ends well and they can figure things out. Today not so much. It went from verbal to physical almost instantly and the trike tipped over spilling both boys on the floor. 

All was quiet for about 2 seconds then they both started screaming. I quickly prioritized and grabbed the youngest first. Max calmed down right away, but David was still crying hard. I put Max down and went to comfort David. I found him covered in blood, his head gushing. Wow. Not what I needed when I was shakey and nauseous. I scrambled to find our red, first aid wash cloth. I sopped up the blood trail he left from the living room to the kitchen (cuz Max was playing in it) then tried to stop the bleeding on his head. Head wounds like to bleed. A lot.

I got it calmed down and took a close look at the gash. It looked big to me and wanted a second opinion on how to treat it. I knew my mom was at an appointment and David was at the doctor for his own issues that morning (inflammation around the lungs making it painful to breathe). I called my good friend Jes and she immediately dropped her own kidlings on her husband and came over to assess the situation. Unable to focus on anything but my hunger and blechyness, I took her advice and we shaved his head to apply butterfly closures to the gash. He was such a trooper. He stood very calmly and let us work. Such a brave boy.

Two hours later, the wound was still bleeding around the butterfly bandages. My mom, sister and David took a look and I called our pediatrician. The general consensus was that he needed to be seen at the E.R.. Off we went. He was pretty excited for a trip to the hospital. He did really well and was all smiles until the doctor came in. He absolutely flipped out then and had a meltdown. No strange bald-headed man was going to touch his head without a fight. We held him down long enough for the doctor to get a peek. I was given the option of staples or dermabond to close the gash. Glue it was! The only draw back to that is that he's not allowed to touch it. So far he's been good though so that doesn't even matter.

The doctor stepped out to prep the supplies and left us with Curious George on TV. Within 5 minutes, David had conked out cold. I guess fighting doctors off is draining! The doctor returned and slipped in quietly. We got about halfway through the dermabond process before he woke up. Not too bad!

All in all, it was a little traumatic (for me and him!), but it wasn't anything that an hour in the E.R. and a little tissue glue couldn't fix.

Soon after the bonk

It's about a half inch long and as wide as a nickel is thick

Our attempt at butterfly closures

Waiting to see the doctor

He loved that bracelet! He asked to take it home before
he even got to the exam room.

Sleeping

A glue-y gash

All done! Waiting for discharge papers

He got McDonald's for dinner as a special treat for being so
brave today.

3 comments:

  1. sounds like a true "SAGER event"

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about the cravings. I had bad cravings when pregnant with Dawn. I gained 80 - 85 pounds in that pregnancy cause of hunger cravings. Maybe this is a sign of a girl which is rare in the Sager bloodline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor little buddy. I am sure all the he remembers from that day is getting a happy meal. :)

    ReplyDelete