Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Saving green by being green..

So about 6 months ago I felt a really strong need to re-evaluate how I was doing things in my house and for my family. I realized that I was making choices day in and day out that were costing us unnecessary money and weren't the healthiest choice for the environment or our family.

By this point, I was already making my own laundry soap, but I decided to step it up a notch and make the rest of our household cleaners too. I started with my bathroom and all-purpose counter top type cleaner first. Once we had some of that down, I made the money saving switch to cloth diapers and wipes for David. We have that whole situation under control now so I recently moved on to making my own dishwasher detergent. It's amazing the money you can save when you try! I also feel better now knowing exactly what is in my cleaning products. There are no excess or harsh chemicals near my child or in the air we breathe. This makes my mommy heart so happy.

As a stay-at-home mom, I am grateful every day for the privilege of being here with my child every moment of the day. My husband makes sacrifices so I don't have to. I feel though that it is my responsibility to make good use of the money that he works so hard to bring home. I need to be a good steward of our finances. This means making sound decisions at the grocery store and around the house. I looked around today and felt so much better about saying that I was doing just that.

Not to brag, but I'm kind of awesome. :)

2 comments:

  1. yeah, you are awesome... any chance you'll post all your cleaner recipes? eh? eh?

    ReplyDelete