Please note that this recipe is not my own. It was taken from: http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap.htm.
1/3 bar Fels Naptha bar soap (I use 1 bar)
1/2 cup borax
1/2 cup washing soda
You will also need a bucket - about 2 gallon size to mix and store it all in.
Grate the bar soap and put in a sauce pan. Add 6 cups water and warm over medium heat until the soap melts, stirring often. Add the washing soda and borax and stir until dissolved. Remove from heat. Pour 4 cups hot water into the bucket. Add your soap mixture and stir. Add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir. Let sit for 24 hours to gel before use. Use 1/2 cup per load of laundry.
you use separate pans than your eating pans to do your soap melting, right??
ReplyDeleteOH YES! When I upgraded to really nice stainless steel pans a year ago I kept my old crappy cheap walmart pans for soap making and such. I also have seperate spoons for stirring and a cheese grater for grating the bar soap too. You wouldn't want to mix those, folks!
ReplyDelete