How do you make a lil guy sleep when he's hurting from cutting teeth and a miserable ear infection?
One part car seat and a bajillion parts prayer.
My sweet Titus is sick. Really sick. This is probably the worst illness one of my babies has ever had. I haven't heard so much crying since dealing with colicky baby David - and that's saying something because that child screamed at the top of his lungs for a minimum of 6 hours straight every single night when he was a baby.
He's been a little under the weather since last Tuesday, but the worst of it began Friday night. I knew he was feeling super yucky when I put him to bed at 8pm, but I had no idea what the night would hold for him and I. He slept for just an hour before waking up. He nursed, but didn't settle right back down. It took a while to soothe him, but he did go back to sleep for me. He slept just one more hour before waking again (just as I was preparing to go to bed myself) and this time he wanted nothing to do with nursing or being comforted. He fussed his way through the next 2 hours before passing out in my arms as I rocked him. I waited about a half hour, until I knew he was good and asleep, before attempting to lay him down. His chubby cheek no more than hit the sheets before the screaming began. It was now well after midnight and I was beyond tired. I tried everything I could think of to get him to sleep after that - I even conceded to sleeping upright in a chair all night with him in my arms if that's what it took.
But nothing worked. Nada. No sleep. Zilch. Titus' screams woke Dave around 3am and he got up to check on us. He made me some food and got me a drink before heading back to bed. The crying continued on...
Finally, nearing 5am as Dave's alarm was going off for work, Titus gave way to sleep. Restless sleep, but sleep nonetheless. It lasted a miserably short 2 hours before he woke up and started crying again. :( There was no question now whether we needed to call the pediatrician now. Thank goodness for Saturday hours!! They confirmed what we already knew - he had an ear infection - and wrote him a prescription. The day continued on in much the same fashion as the night before....lots of crying and little sleep. Saturday afternoon we tried tugging on his ear. It didn't make a huge difference, but it did help some. It cleared things out enough that pain medications helped now. Previously, they hadn't made a bit of difference. He got some good rest Saturday night and was somewhat happier on Sunday. We're hoping now that the worst is behind us. *fingers crossed*
But now I spy an ear infection starting in Max. We're headed to the doctor this morning with him. :/
UPDATE: My little Max-a-roony has ear infections in both of his sweet little ears. :(
No comments:
Post a Comment